Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Personal Horror Story With W2Servers

I purchased a "promo" virtual private server from W2 Servers, in their Atlanta / Ubiquity Servers datacenter, in mid-May 2011 because I had previously purchased a server in Chicago / FDC and was offered a free quad core CPU upgrade and 1 gigabyte RAM for "a limited time" only which I purchased and had it placed in Atlanta / Ubiquity Servers.

The server provisioning was fast, the server was up and all was good.

That's about when the bottom started to fall out of W2 Servers. People were getting mad, disks were "failing" in other servers at different data centers and all the sudden, the support staff at W2 Servers had virtually disappeared. I sent in a support ticket about enabling TUN / TAP (filed 5/15/2011) and when running some tests, I was noticing the disk performance was terrible.

The performance was so bad that it was interfering with me running an ecommerce web application (OpenCart) that required the use of nginx, PHP and MySQL. 

About that week is when an email was released by W2Servers that said the disk had failed in the Chicago / FDC server and that affected customers could file a transfer request ticket to have their servers moved to another location that W2 Servers provides, plus the $10 transfer fee was waived, and that would temporarily resolve the problem.

On 5/24/2011 and 5/25/2011, I sent tickets explaining that all they needed to do was create me a new virtual private server in Atlanta and I did not need the data from Chicago / FDC since I backed up all that data so to make me a satisfied customer, just create me an Atlanta VPS so I can get back to my project.

"Sanath S" replied on 5/31/2011 that my "patience would be required", my server is in the provisioning queue, and I would receive something within 48 hours. About 60 hours later, on June 2nd, I filed another reply asking what was going on. 8 hours later, "Sanath S" responded that the administrator was creating another node, data was being transferred and they need 24 - 48 hours almost 16 days ago.

After that, I filed 2 more replies 4 days apart with no reply whatsoever.

I filed a ticket to request a transfer from Chicago / FDC to Atlanta / Ubiquity Servers to ask "customer service" what the issue was, on 6/9/2011, so that I could get my VPN installed and start using it for my own personal use. On 6/13/2011, I filed an additional reply with this same ticket asking if I qualified for a 6 month credit since that was emailed saying that affected virtual private server and dedicated server customers would receive a 6 month credit for all their downtime.

No response.

I think this is what happened...

I believe W2 Servers and "Lyin" Lyron Foster were kicked out of Chicago / FDC, which explains other customers complaining they were kicked out of other FDC locations also. I'll let you speculate as why, but I do believe it's from lack of response to abuse complaints because Lyron Foster claimed on his blog that a customer "bad mouthing him" was abusive with 12 piracy violations, 74 spamming violations and 7 upstream null routings. Why wasn't this customer terminated, Lyron? 

In that same post, Lyron says "If you're curious about this particular customer. This is a customer that was warned (repeatedly) for TOS violations and eventually terminated for just flat out refusing to listen. What terms were violated? In normal situations, I would never release any information about a specific client situation.. and even in response to this frivilous POS website full of lies i wont release his personal details"


How many CEO's, including one who promotes "how to be a perfect CEO", threatens to release client information on the Internet when W2Servers allowed this customer to be abusive by allowing support staff to keep reenabling his account after it was suspended for the above abuses - 12 piracy violations, 74 spamming violations and 7 upstream nullroutes is pretty serious. With a provider who had Cogent bandwidth, I got 2 DMCA takedown requests from MediaSentry about running a misconfigured Tor node and the provider resolved the issue with me locking down the Tor configuration with 2 accepts (80/tcp and 443/tcp) and a default reject for everything else.

Lyron, the truth is people can see past your shell game and I'm just getting started exposing you and how W2 Servers operates. You may scare this guy into not publishing anymore information, but I dare you and your "Cajun temper" which is your claim and not mine, to "publicly spar with me". You wouldn't last a minute with me and if my public information shows up on the Internet, you would be hit with a lawsuit faster than you can publish another email lie to your customers who are being left in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment